Sunday, January 01, 2006

My Neighbor Totoro

If in describing the films of Hayao Miyazaki I consistently repeat myself, it is because all of his films have left me with an inexplicable kind of joy. Even though each of his films are distinct and different, they all make me feel the same. For what it's worth, My Neighbor Totoro may be my favorite yet of his films. It is utterly delightful, and no one captures the expressions of a child like the animation of Miyazaki. In this film, two young girls move to the country with their father as their mother is sick in the hospital. In the nearby woods, the girls meet a Totoro. Now, I'm still not entirely sure what a Totoro is (a forrest sprite, is the closest I've come), all I know is that if I were a child, I would want to find a Totoro in the forrest. The film is filled with magic and awe and imagination, and is probably one of the best of its kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home