Monday, May 02, 2005

The Night Strangler

Darren McGavin returns as Kolchak in the sequel to The Night Stalker. It's basically the same as its predecessor, but this time he's in Seattle and dealing with a mad, zombified doctor. So, everything I wrote in my review below, also applies here. Overall, however, I think this is the superior of the two. It's more suspenseful all around, and the thought of knowing the truth and having no one believe you is terrifying, which this film captures as well as I've ever seen. Kolchak can certainly be an annoying and persistent SOB, but that's what makes him a good reporter and an interesting character. Besides, John Carradine is always a welcome presence as the owner of the newspaper.

1 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Even though I find this to be inferior to The Night Stalker, I think it captures the paranoid flavor of the television series nicely. Chris Carter cited this as his main inspiration for The X-Files, and the resemblance is uncanny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home